Back in the Swing

18 April 2013 by Conor Published in: Musings Tags:, , 28 comments

Unless you’re a starfish, you’re probably pretty busy with all kinds of comings and goings. For us, this year has sped by, and this blog has kind of fallen by the wayside with everything else going on. But I’ve missed blogging here, which has always been a favorite hang out spot for me, here with all you guys. So I’m back. And I brought Fritos! (And a bag of Cool Ranch coral polyps for my starfish peeps. Because yum!)

That’s not to say I’ve not been writing – I’ve written a bunch of stuff for The Huffington Post (which still sounds like a stoner magazine to me) and other stuff, but I’ve wanted to get back to this, my own blog, for two reasons.

First, this blog is where my writing all began. Sort of.

My writing actually began with a journal that I kept for eleven years. I wrote in it every single night. Not because I felt a burning desire to lay my soul on paper but because it was a homework assignment for Mr. Delo’s AP English class in my senior year of high school. When we went to turn them in (he had promised he wouldn’t read them), he refused to even accept them, and instead gave us all A’s.

“I just thought it would be fun,” he said happily.

Most of my classmates thought that was pretty pointless, but I discovered I really liked writing. In my journal I wasn’t getting all deep – I felt like I was writing for others, trying to entertain and be funny, even though I never showed anyone my journals. It was fun to think about finishing a whole journal and going back and re-reading a book where I was the star.

That actually makes me sound like the most self-centered person on the planet. Note to self: Delete that last paragraph before posting this blog entry. Replace with stuff people like. (Bald eagles?)

The second reason I’m getting back into the blog is that people sometimes check here if they’ve read the book I wrote, Little Princes. When they read old updates they think that my life is frozen in time many months ago, and they think my daughter Lucy is a wee little baby and not the two year old fireplug that she is. (I’m not sure fireplug is a word. I need a different description. Lucy’s really cute and huggable and also crazy and unpredictable and independent and getting her dressed in the morning is like trying to dress a raccoon.)

I like being up to date, is all I’m saying. Or up to date-ish, at least.

So for the purposes of just getting us up to date a bit, I’ll go ahead and recap some stuff in my life, in case anyone cares.

Here are the questions I get the most, in general order of frequency.

Have you had bicep implants? Because your biceps are incredibly large! (Also, is it true you can see them from space?)

Thank you, but no, I have not had bicep implants. (That’s a weird question – are they all going to be weird?)

Are you still involved with Next Generation Nepal?

Heck yeah! I’m the President of the Board. (You want to be president of something, all you have to do is start it yourself – not like anyone promoted me, so it’s sort of nepotistic, which, let’s face it, is how I got ahead in this organization.)

How’s Next Generation Nepal doing, and how are the kids doing?

Great, and amazing. NGN is going strong, our staff has increased to something like 25 people. The dedication and loyalty of our staff to the children of Nepal is like something out of Game of Thrones.

The kids themselves are doing awesome. The oldest, Bikash, is actually in university studying to be a dentist, which blows my mind right out of my ear holes. And of course NGN still rescues trafficked kids and still searches the mountains for their lost families. I’d be happy to answer questions if I can in the comment section if anyone has any.

What are you doing now?

I’m eating some Triscuits. Why? You’re not going to ask me to help you move a couch or something, are you? Because my biceps are a little tight after this monster workout I just did…

No, I mean in general – what are you doing now in life?

Oh. A bunch of things! I’ve been doing a lot of writing and a lot of speaking. I’m blessed to be able to go to schools and universities, many of which have chosen Little Princes as their Common Read, and talk about Nepal. It’s been pretty dreamy. But I’m also thinking about exciting things to do next in life. That’s not to discuss here – you know, sausage-being-made and all.

Where are you living these days?

The Grennan family – that’s Conor, Liz, Finn (age 4), Lucy (age 2) and Emma (age Dog) – have been in Los Angeles for a year, and we’re now moving back to our home in Connecticut at the end of April. We couldn’t be more excited. It’s been a great adventure, and we wanted to spend time near Liz’s mom in San Diego, but our home is Connecticut. Our church is there, our community is there, our friends are there. Those are things that are incredibly important to us.

How often to you get back to Nepal?

About once a year, in October. Mostly to see the kids, but also to talk strategy with the team. But really to see the kids. They’re like family and I miss them every day – I really do. Kathmandu feels like home. And if you told me ten years ago that I was going to write the sentence “Kathmandu feels like home” I would have assumed that you were screaming it with your face smushed against the bars of your cell in the Billowing Meadows Home for the Crazies.

Okay, those are some of the basic questions. I’ll let you get back to moving that couch.

Nice to be back, friends. I missed this place. Come say hi!

Comments

1. Joann
    Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 8:27 am

Hi,
    I read your book for my grade 12 World Issues class, and I absolutely loved it! It was engaging and taught me about an issue I hadn’t really been exposed to. Thank you for all the great work you are doing, I look forward to continue reading your blog posts!

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 8:27 am

That’s awesome! Loved 12th grade. Thanks Joann!

2. Elsa
    Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 8:41 am

Missed you! Love reading your blog. It’s a day brightener always.

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 10:41 am

Can’t wait to get home and hang out Elsa!!

3. Natalie
    Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 9:46 am

I really missed this! It’s always a joy to read something you’ve written, whether it be on here or through the Huffington Post. I’ve read your book about three times now, and am currently pushing my college’s freshman seminar team of teachers to make it the Freshman Read, because I believe it is a book that should be read and enjoyed by everybody! Love your book, your writing, and what you do. You’re truly inspiring. Keep it up!

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 10:41 am

Natalie, you’re officially my hero. Thanks for reading – there should be a medal for that!

4. Danielle
    Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 2:38 pm

I just finished your book a couple days ago and I am STILL driving everyone around me crazy talking about it. Thank you for putting this out there for all of us to read! And your writing style is so engaging, I actually hugged the book when I finished!

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:09 pm

This book is especially fond of hugs!! Thanks Danielle!

5. Angela
    Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:02 pm

Just want you to know that I LOVE bald eagles and am eagerly looking forward to reading your comments on them.

Just kidding.

Thanks for the post–I’m a friend of Liz’s from way-back-when and I love to hear how you guys are doing!

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Angela! I do have a lot of thoughts on bald eagles, but mostly they involve the fact that they’re so handsome, and that gets repetitive…

6. Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love you, your humor, “Little Princes,” your warmth towards your fans at The Stratford Public Library in Stratford, CT, your Facebook posts, and your Blog!
    When is the movie of “Little Princes” coming out?

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:56 pm

I loved Stratford! And can’t wait to get back to the neighborhood!

7. Aly
    Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:53 pm

I am a fifth grade teacher, and I LOVED your book! I finished reading it a few weeks ago, and now it’s making it’s way around the staff at my school. I actually read it, because I teach a lot of Nepali children. My school serves a high population of refugees. We have a lot of kids from Burma too. The best thing about reading Little Princes was how familiar all the kids seemed to me. I felt like every child you described was one that I know. Even the names were the same. I adore the children of Nepal. They have this unfailing resilience about them. They are the most joyful people I have ever met. Thank you for your book and for the way it honored those kids. Did I mention that I loved it?

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 3:57 pm

They are amazing kids – awesome that you know those kiddies, and yes, joyful!!

8. Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 6:56 pm

Hi Connor,

I loved your book. I bought copies to share with friends and family.

Thanks for sharing your story and for the good work you do.

Brad

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 10:55 pm

Brad! Righteous! Thanks amigo.

9. Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 9:50 pm

I was just gushing about your book today to a friend who has started mission work in Nicaragua with a bunch of great people. He has big dreams for the kids rescued from sex slavery there and I had to tell him your story. I loved the look on his face after hearing of your success in Nepal. He had the look of Hope. We have your book in our church library and it’s starting to catch on. Yay for You! Love you and your blog words.

• Conor  –  Fri 19th Apr 2013 at 10:56 pm

I love that, Susie! Also, when I first read that i thought you said “with a bunch of goat people.”

God bless!

• Susie  –  Sat 20th Apr 2013 at 3:07 pm

well, now that you mention it…
        ;)

10. JennyVLH
    Sat 20th Apr 2013 at 4:09 am

Yay! Sooooo happy that I wasn’t the only one wondering about your biceps!

Hurry home.

• Conor  –  Sat 20th Apr 2013 at 9:13 am

We’ll be there soon neighbor!

11. Ghyslaine Berger
    Sat 20th Apr 2013 at 4:55 am

OK, now I’m almost intimidated. I’ve never been on a blog before. I discovered ‘Little Princes’ when my son dedicated it to his twin brother for his bday. I’m half way through the book, and every day, I tell a bit of the story to my husband, my daughter, my other sons, to my Gr3 FI(french immersion) students. They can’t get enough of your indearing style & story. They say things like: “But Madame, that’s child abuse”or even: OK, Mme, now you go home tonight, and finish the book”. Some want to know what you look like. I tell them you have eyes, a nose, a mouth, hair… in French bien sur. All the characters in your book come alive, and are so touching! I think you’re an old soul!

• Conor  –  Sat 20th Apr 2013 at 9:14 am

An old soul! I like that. I’ll have to brush up on my French so it sounds even better with some French idiom, like un bon souffleur ancien or something. Which I don’t think means anything.

• Ghyslaine Berger  –  Sat 20th Apr 2013 at 3:43 pm

My son Robert just told me that he met you last year in Calgary during a conference where you’ve made quite an impression on him. What a thrill! Again ,I say that your book is a lesson on humility.

12. brnoze
    Fri 17th May 2013 at 6:22 am

Dear Conor,
    You have been missed. Your adventures on the west coast have given you a perspective on who you are, who you want to be and what you want for your family. Every move we make helps us build that strong foundation that is needed for the next step in life. Keep growing, keep reaching out and thank you for sharing.

13. joana sanders
    Fri 09th Aug 2013 at 11:59 am

Are you a Mormon/member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Just curious. I read your book and your personal values and overall… goodness seem to reflect those of that faith (you didn’t define a religion in your book, I just thought maybe since coming to Christ you were introduced and had been converted). Just curious:)

14. Mon 30th Dec 2013 at 12:25 am

.Their found this specific dress up Seemed that it screamed Me! We used the style chart therefore fulfils appropriately!. I had this unique garment for my birthday social gathering we should sequence the actual turquoise way too. I really highly suggest it costume to anyone who would like to shine in an exceedingly good way!!!!And you can look our website plus size dresses for special occasions uk

15. Mon 05th May 2014 at 11:36 pm

New Rail Jets will cut travel time from Innsbruck to Vienna by 22 minutes to 4 hours and 15 minutes,
    from Salzburg to Vienna by 23 minutes to 2 hours and 22 minutes.
    , who was promoting her hit album, and single of the same name, The Glamorous Life.

The Sea Witch gave them this knife in return for their hair.